20 Jun 2010

Cross-country skiing



Actually, my favourite sport is football but I want to write about another sport instead, cross-country skiing.

Cross-country skiing is a typical Nordic sport. It is a winter sport. You have two skis and two poles and special clothes and shoes. I like the sport because it’s funny and you get to see the nature.

I started cross-country skiing when I was about nine years old. Our family went to Team Sportia in Stenungsund and bought a pair of skis each. I started skiing around my house but when I knew how to do it I went to Tjörn’s golf course. There was a lot of snow and much longer. It was really funny.

A year later I got my first roller skis. They’re like short skis with wheels. When I had trained enough, I decided to set up a goal. And the goal was to complete Vasaloppet, the longest ski competition in the world.

It is 90 kilometres long and for the elite skiers it takes about four hours. But you don’t need to be a professional skier to complete Vasaloppet. You can be 80 years old and still do it! Vasaloppet is fantastic!

But why is the name Vasaloppet? There was a king in Sweden, whose name was Gustav Vasa. The Danish king wanted to kill him. It was winter and he had to flee with skis. The skiers today go the same way and they named the competition after him.

Now I practise a little in order to one day cross the goal line. It’s a future dream that can come true. Wish me luck!



No comments: